R.I.P. Greg Giraldo

Comedian Greg Giraldo has died.

I spent a week opening for Greg last year at the Kansas City Improv. Watching him perform was bittersweet: I was lost in laughter, and at the same time I found myself extremely jealous of his ability to write the perfect joke. His material was the perfect mix of smart and dumb. Just when you thought the joke was going to be way over your head, he would turn it and end it with the most ridiculous punchline.

He had a notebook that was folded in half that he would scribble new ideas into. After each set, he would write some chicken-scratch on a page, fold the notebook, and stick it back in his pocket. I can only imagine what amazing gems are in that book that will never grace our ears.

He was a 'comic's comic'; that is, someone that all comedians strive to be - honest and biting, but hilarious at the same time. I remember standing in the back of the room with comedian Jason Dixon during his set. Jason turned to me at one point and said, "F*cking amazing."

He traveled with a 'sober coach' that week - a 20-something kid that hung around to make sure Greg didn't get himself into trouble after (or before) the shows. I had never heard of a traveling sober companion, but I truly respected him for tossing embarrassment and pride aside to ensure he stayed sober.

He will be missed by many fans and comedians alike. RIP, G.G.


Greg Giraldo and Brad Meehan

Popular Posts